DAAD Helmut Schmidt Masters Scholarship in Germany 2019- 2020. The prestigious and competitive Fully Funded Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance – PPGG by DAAD Germany: Helmut-Schmidt-Programme 2020 is open now for applications.
Since 2009, the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (known as Public Policy and Good Governance) is supporting future leaders from Africa, Central and Latin America, Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine (see list of countries), who want to promote democracy and social justice in their home countries.
Fresh candidates and experienced people can apply for DAAD Scholarships in Germany.
About DAAD Helmut Schmidt Masters Scholarship in Germany
This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics, and administration according to the principles of good governance and to prepare them in a practice-oriented course for their professional life.
Very good graduates with a first university degree get the chance to obtain a master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and economic development of their home country.
The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social differences.
With this programme, DAAD intends to support the good governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries
The programme, which is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, offers the chance to acquire a Master’s degree in Master programmes of particular relevance for the social, political and economic development in the students’ countries of origin
Do you have a Bachelors degree (16 years) in social science, political science, law, economics or in Public Administration? Then apply for fully funded Masters/MPhil in fields of Public Policy and Good Governance or relevant fields in any one of the 08 best universities in Germany.
Scholarship Destination Country
Fields of Study
- Public Policy and Good Governance
Scholarship Courses and Universities
You can choose between the following universities, alphabetically listed by city:
- Hertie School of Governance, Berlin: Master of Public Policy (MPP) (the language of instruction: English, programme duration: 4 semesters)
- Universität Duisburg-Essen: Master of Development and Governance (the language of instruction: English, programme duration: 2 semesters)
- Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP) (the language of instruction: English, programme duration: 4 semesters)
- Leuphana Universität Lüneburg: Public Economics, Law and Politics (PELP) (languages of instruction: English and German, programme duration: 4 semesters)
- Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-ProfitOrganisations (the language of instruction: German, programme duration: 4 semesters)
- Universität Osnabrück: Master of Democratic Governance and Civil Society (languages of instruction: English and German, programme duration: 4 semesters)
- Universität Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy (languages of instruction: English and German, programme duration: 4 semesters)
- Universität Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM) (the language of instruction: English, programme duration: 2 semesters)
DAAD Helmut Schmidt Scholarship Scholarship Value
The fully funded daad scholarship in Germany will cover all the expenses of the selected students. Scholarship of monthly 850 € for selected MA programmes at German institutions of higher education listed below. The study programmes are usually starting in Sep/Oct 2020 and are taught in German and/or English.
- Contributions to health insurance in Germany
- Appropriate travel allowance
- Study and research subsidy
- Monthly rent subsidy where applicable,
- Allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable
- 6-months-German language course from April 2020 to September 2020. The language course takes place at selected institutes in Germany and usually not at the universities of the selected MA programmes. The language course is compulsory also for those who attend a master´s course taught in English.
The scholarship holders are offered special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD. Furthermore, scholars are invited to participate in different networking events. DAAD-scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees.
- The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home
countries. It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
Eligibility Criteria for DAAD Helmut Schmidt Scholarship
- The scholarship programme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration from Africa, Central, and Latin America, Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from Ukraine. (See List of Countries)
DAAD Helmut Schmidt Scholarship Selection Criteria
- study results so far
- Language skills
- Political and social engagement
- Convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit when returning to the home country
- Expected benefit when returning to the home country
The most recent university degree should be obtained in the last six years prior to the application for the scholarship.
Applicants who have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline are not considered as eligible.
All master´s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
The necessary documents are:
- DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholarships (only electronically editing possible)
- Hand-signed and dated motivation letter (one single letter for both universities) containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic/professional and personal reasons for choosing those MA-programmes and universities (two pages maximum)
- Hand-signed and dated full curriculum vitae including information about the precise field of your studies and, if applicable, description of job experience
- Copy of acquired university degrees (please attach an explanation of the grading system)
- Copy of the transcript of records
- Recent language certificates (German and/or English)
- One letter of recommendation, signed and recently dated by your university professor or current employer, supplemented by an official letterhead, and stamp (not in a sealed envelope)
Application Process for DAAD Helmut Schmidt Scholarship
Applications must be submitted in German or English. Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-SchmidtProgramme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance). You are allowed to submit your application for up to two master`s courses listed below.
Step # 1: Fill in the DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholarships only once making clear which study course is your first and which is your second priority.
Step # 2: Write a single letter of motivation for both university courses you choose, justifying your first and second priority choice.
Step # 3: Send the DAAD scholarship form together with the letter of motivation and accompanied with the necessary documents listed below to the two universities of your choice. Do NOT send it to DAAD.
Step # 1: In autumn 2019 a selection committee consisting of university professors and DAAD representatives meets and suggests potential candidates for a DAAD scholarship.
Step # 2: November/December 2019: the suggested candidates are contacted by DAAD to upload their complete application to the DAAD Portal. Important: Make sure that you have a copy of each document of your application ready, as those documents (as PDF files) have to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal in case you are suggested for a DAAD scholarship!
Step # 3: Winter 2019/20: the selection process will be finalized. All applicants will be informed at the end of the selection process – approx. by the end of December 2019
Application Deadline for DAAD Helmut Schmidt Masters Scholarship
- The application period at all 8 universities lasts from June 1st to July 31st, 2019.
Please submit only legible copies of your documents. Please consider that illegible documents can lead to a formal rejection.
Applications sent to the DAAD will not be forwarded to the respective course/university. They become the property of the DAAD and will not be returned. The applicant has no right to claim for reimbursement.
In case your application is sent to more than two universities or if nonspecific priorities are given your application will not be accepted.
Only complete applications can be accepted. If you fail to follow the given procedures, you will be excluded from the application process.
Drop your comment(s) regarding this scholarship using the comment box below and stand a chance to win our Scholarship Application Guide Ebook worth $150.
We will answer all your questions and be glad to hear from you!Methodology: This review is based on a personal survey by ScholarsPortal.com and may or may not reflect the global views of the scholarship. Stars are used to represent the various review factors and a higher star means a better result. For example, a scholarship with an "ease of application" of 5 stars will be easier to apply than that with 3 stars. Based on the review factors, the scholarship is then graded with: "fairly good", "good" and "very good".
Scholars Portal can help you GET ANY SCHOLARSHIP you dream of!
Have you won any scholarship in the past? SUBMIT your Scholar Story or SEND a scholarship for us to post on our site HERE.
CHAT with over 150,000 scholars applying for the scholarships you love here:
- Group: Scholars Portal
- Channel: Scholars Portal Channel
- Undergraduate Scholarships
- Masters Scholarships
- PhD Scholarships
- African Scholarships
- Asia Scholarships
- Australia Scholarships
- Europe Scholarships
- United States Scholarships
- Chevening Scholarship
- Fulbright Scholarship
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
- OFID Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- DAAD Scholarships
- Rotary Foundation Global Study Grant
- Henry Luce Scholarship
- Rhodes Scholarships
- Marshall Scholarships
- Korean Government Scholarships
- Sweden Institute Scholarships
- Atlas Corps
Disclaimer Notice: Unless otherwise stated, ScholarsPortal.com is not in anyway affiliated with any scholarship third-party body listed on our site. For more details, see our disclaimer notice page.
Follow us on Twitter: @scholars_portal