The Chevening personal statement is one of the key requirements in getting this prestigious scholarship. It is important for anyone applying for this scholarship to have great determination and resilience. Of a truth, only the best candidates are selected.
Usually, you are required to write personal statements for your selected universities and the Chevening scholarship body. It is far easier to get an admission into a university in UK than to get the scholarship itself. The personal statement for admission into the various eligible universities in UK is conventional. Therefore, we will be focusing more on the scholarship personal statements.
What the Personal Statement Requires
You will be required to write four essays while applying for this Scholarship. These essays will be concerning:
Scholars Portal can help you GET ANY SCHOLARSHIP you dream of!
CHAT with over 10,000 scholars applying for the scholarships you love here:
- In this section you are required to explain in details how the leadership skills you had acquired over the years will enable you become a successful Chevener.
- Success is not limited to only during your studies, but beyond. You need to adopt a methodology while expressing yourself to sound coherent.
- A common way is to adopt the STAR approach. “STAR” stands for Situation, Task, Action and Result.
- You need to spell out the situation where you horned your leadership skills and the task in a concise manner.
- The situation is the event, task is the problem you had to solve, action is the process you took to solve the problem.
- Moreover, the results which is the last needs to be supported with facts and figures and not mere stories.
- Chevening advocates for scholars to have good sociable skills.
- These skills are not only necessary for success at the events organized during the programme, but all through your career path.
- You will need to adopt the same methodology as described above “STAR”.
- You can state various occasions where you collaborated with people to bring positive changes.
- This can be in your school, religious institutions like Church, Mosque etc., community and other places of socialization.
- Ensure you use keywords related to networking like “we”, “us”, “society”, “team” etc.
- Mention as many examples as possible, but do not overshoot your bounds by talking about irrelevancies.
- This is a very important part not just for the scholarship, but for your own self-development.
- You are expected to state a clear plan.
- A good career plan is one that has dates, targets, milestones and impact.
- The previously discussed “STAR” methodology is also very useful here.
- Your plan should be one that will also benefit your society, nation and maybe continent at large.
- You need to be sincere and not cook up stories.
- It is easy to determine if a story is not real.
- A simple way is to check the correlation between it and your past experiences.
- There should be a strong linkage between your educational, work experiences and future career plan.
- Ensure you make the reader understand your story clearly by relating all your essays in your write-up here.
CHAT with over 68,000 scholars applying for the scholarships you love here:
- African Scholarships
- Asia Scholarships
- Australia Scholarships
- Europe Scholarships
- United States Scholarships
- Do not be scared to pick the best universities among the eligible ones for your course.
- You can find the list of eligible universities for your course using the “course finder”.
- It may be a bit more difficult to get admission in top schools in UK compared to lower ones.
- However, you have three choices so you can choose the desirable schools of your choice without any fear.
- It is necessary to state why you chose that school for your studies.
- A common way to do this is by commenting on the modules on the course outline and how it relates to your past and future plans.
- The reputation, alumni and diverse culture of the school and its environs can also be a subject of discussion in the essay.
- All these will help you stand out. Recall that Chevening receives thousands of applications from over 160 countries yearly.
- Chevening Personal statements are the cornerstone in being successful as a Chevening awardee. Hence, it must be taken seriously. Avoid the last minute rush and start your application early. The awards usually opens within August of every year and closes sometime in early November.
- Therefore, you have plenty of time to articulate good essays that will make you stand out. Do not be shy of asking your trusted friends or family members to help you review them. Moreover, you could also contact past alumni and ask for further assistance. Confidence and determination is the key to get this scholarship.
- Trust me, those that get the scholarship may not be better than you. Remember, hard work beats talent when talent refuses to work hard. Therefore you can start preparing your personal statement for the Chevening Scholarship before application opens for this year.
DO YOU KNOW?
- Chevening Scholarship is open to students from over 160 countries.
- Most Cheveners are notable people in the society.
- The scholarship is fully funded so you do not need to worry about anything.
CHAT with over 85,000 scholars applying for the scholarships you love here:
- Chevening Scholarship
- Fulbright Scholarship
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
- OFID Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- DAAD Scholarships
- Rotary Foundation Global Study Grant
- Henry Luce Scholarship
- Rhodes Scholarships
- Marshall Scholarships
- Korean Government Scholarships
- Sweden Institute Scholarships
- Atlas Corps